I'm baaaaaaack and full of rage! Yay?

Hating Teaching from Home Since 2020.

18 November 2017

Like many Kindergarten teachers in the District, I occasionally find myself checking the local parent blogs and sites.  It's hectic for families and teachers alike - families waitpooling, families adjusting to their chosen sites, teachers harried and eagerly awaiting the day their roster stabilizes.

This is less hectic for teachers than the Tour Season.  I have nothing against the tours, since I really do believe in classrooms being open to all (who are willing to sign in, at least).  (That said, remember that a large group of adults descending on a Kindergarten is disruptive and may affect what's happening.)

However, Tour Season also leads to Online School Reviews, and woe betide the teacher who was having a bad day.  While I understand that the reviewer wants to give the audience valuable information, it's a bit mind-boggling to see reviewers opine upon pedagogy, discipline, and classroom style based on a ten minute (at most) observation of a classroom, particularly when those comments are very negative.  Having not made an appearance in a review, I both sympathize and fear it.

Reviwers, NextDoor users and visitors, please be honest but kind to the educators who (perhaps grudgingly, because they have kids to teach) welcome you into their rooms.

No comments: