I'm baaaaaaack and full of rage! Yay?

Hating Teaching from Home Since 2020.

30 December 2012

Outside the Contract Day.

Recently, I was reminded that real, unionized public school teachers are lazy, whereas theoretically public, non-union charter teachers are industrious and hard-working.

For the most part, I think the big difference is experience; having it means you're both more efficient and more prepared.  This effectively lowers a veteran's hours.*  Still, that's not the whole story.  Another issue is that my contracted day is conflated with my working day.  

I've noted before that I have approximately one hour of contracted non-instructional time weekly.  However, I have lots of non-instructional job responsibilities.  You can tell me if it looks like an hour of work to you (and I invite any teachers reading to add requirements and responsibilities I have forgotten).

Could I do some of these things with the students present?  I don't know; they're five. Is it better to devote my attention to them or to preparing for them?  Which would you prefer your children's teachers do?

Things to Do When the Children Are Not in Class

  1. Assess work samples.
  2. Analyze assessment data.
  3. Record data (in report cards or on the District online data system).
  4. Plan lessons.
  5. Meet and co-plan with other staff (librarian, PE teacher, etc.).
  6. Debrief with other staff.
  7. Clean desks.
  8. Take care of classroom pets (certain responsibilities cannot be assigned to five year olds).
  9. Monitor, repair, and clean supplies.
  10. Flush pipes so that water is unleaded.  (This involves standing at a sink pressing down on the fountain button, contemplating the waste of water.)
  11. Update behavior/social-emotional logs for any students requiring such monitoring (1-2/year).
  12. Call/text families as needed (Daily texts are the one of the most effective behavior incentives I've ever tried, by the way - the five year olds LOVE it and can be really reflective about how their day went).
  13. Write grants (I've gotten six or seven already this year - this consumes quite a bit of time).
  14. Write and respond to work-related email.
  15. Write field trip requests, bus requests, and permission slips.
  16. Return work-related phone calls.
  17. Meet with after school program to discuss student observations and provide support.
  18. Wash smocks, dress up clothes, Body Sox, Co-Oper Blanket, etc.
  19. Make photocopies.
  20. Make charts and posters (a lot of these are new annually, either because they are completed in-class or because I am a perfectionist).
  21. Write out daily schedule, refurbish centers/groups charts.
  22. Compost.
  23. Take recycling to recycling bins.
  24. Laminate, cut, collate, and staple materials.
  25. Plan and debrief with Resident teacher.
  26. Close windows (this is a major endeavor involving a long pole and standing on furniture in my classroom.  It takes about ten minutes).
  27. Restore card charts/cubby markers/calendar for the next day's use.
  28. Organize books, book bins.
  29. Collate and organize homework and weekly school information packets.
  30. Portion out paint, tiles, and other small manipulatives for lesson.
  31. Restore same to storage boxes after use.
  32. Purchase food, bedding, etc. for classroom pets.
  33. Go to the Children's Book Project and SCRAP.
  34. Stop making this list before becoming so depressed I have to go back to bed.







*Apparently Bureau of Labor Statistics data report that veterans work longer hours than new teachers.

No comments: