I may not have been good this year, but definitely I did good things. Despite epic budget cuts, regular interludes without heat and the daily denigration of my profession, I have successfully taught my students to read, figure, and treat others with a modicum of respect.
Given American capitalism's "pay for breathing" plans for CEOs, I suppose I could demand presents without any work. However, the same Rand-reading illiterates* receiving bonuses for their ability to take in oxygen seem to think teachers have something to prove.** Hence the above. Additionally:
- I did NOT go to New York so that I could be used to denigrate my own profession.
- I voted in all elections.
- I spoke at Board meetings, gave interviews to the press, and had my picture in national publications. In all venues, I observed that equity is not equality.
- I spoke against child-blaming, parent-blaming and teacher-blaming.
- I took responsibility for my students' learning and demanded that the powers that be take responsibility for their inequitable actions.***
I'm worthy. I demand presents:
- Math and reading games to fill the backpacks for my students to take home this summer.
- Bird print funnel neck dress, size 38 or 40 IT.
- SFUSD cuts administrative paychecks and positions BEFORE cutting teacher jobs.
- UESF does not capitulate on "No Layoffs".
- We get the PAC-TIN grant.
- Magical black tights that do not get ladders.
- Aga Six-Four stove and range.
- 20:1 class size reduction K-12 throughout the state. 12:1 reduction at "high needs" schools (say, those with FRLP over 75% and/or those serving a major public housing development).
- Lots of nifty light fiction.
- My very own cross trainer and/or elliptical machine.
As you can see, my desires are both many and extravagant. I figure such an attitude has served Lloyd Blankfein well, so it can't hurt me any.
*Yes, I meant for that to happen. You don't really need strong reading comprehension skills to suffer through Ayn Rand. Her books are all a disturbing amalgamation of bad, mildly sadomasochistic romance novels and repetitive semi-philosophical pablum.
**And the ones who didn't slap some sense into those boys DO.
***Not that they did, of course. How much you want to bet that Garcia declines to take a solidarity pay cut (beyond furlough days) again this year?