- I have a hard time with files because there's just so many of them. Every single master goes into its own file, creating giant piles of files (I have a file cabinet, but one drawer is permanently jammed and the other is full of puzzles.). This year, I have decided to make a file for each week and put every master I use that week in it. Since I use the same things around the same time each year, this should - if I maintain it - make it easy to find things in the future.
- Our formal Caring School Communities meeting was lacking, but the general ideas of it (looking at the speaker, one speaker at a time) were introduced. I'll do this meeting again next week.
- Reading Workshop is going pretty well; the kids are really into it and they have a lot more interest in the class library than in years past (the loft helps there, too).
- I spent half an hour after school every day just cleaning up and organizing. If I can keep this up, things will go well. I also spent one lunch break copying - a task immeasurably helped by having spent the afternoon before organizing things to copy.
- I didn't introduce a formal classroom management system until Friday, and I won't begin using it until Tuesday probably. That's the longest I've gone without. As yet, the class is fairly manageable, and I'm also letting the little things go. Having a resident helps, since she or I can take on a meltdown while the other deals with the rest of the class.
This week, I really want to get all the Brigances done and start demanding lowered volume. I have a couple of kids who are just loud - not grumpily loud or not getting my work done loud, just totally unaware of their volume. I also need to order animals for the year (other than Silkie eggs) and call the local library to schedule a field trip.